LSD differential adjustment, advice needed

To: "message to chapman-era" <chapman-era@autox.team.net>
Subject: LSD differential adjustment, advice needed
From: "Lars-Olof Eriksson" <lars-olof.eriksson@mbox302.swipnet.se>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 15:53:39 +0200
Hello,

I have bought a 2:nd hand LSD (Salisbury) differential.
Now I like to sheck / adjust the LSD setting.
The procedure I have thought of is as follows:

1)Limited slip percentage,(difference torque between wheels / total
torque). I read somewhere that a typical setting is 25     - 40% of
maximum torque. I think I will use 25 %.

2) Calculate max. torque on the wheels. I assume the peak torque of
the engine is about 80Nm .
Gear ratio, 1:st gear = 2.972:1, diff = 3.9:1.
Max torque on the wheel is 80 x 2.972 x 3.9 Nm = 927 Nm

3)Measure the torque needed to turn one output shaft when the other
output and the input (pinion) is locked.
This will be done with oil in the diff. The torque should be 25% x 927
Nm = 232 Nm.

4) Adjust the torque setting. (i havn't found out how to do it yet).

Comments on suitable limited slip percentage, the above method,
recomended oil, etc. will be appreciated.

Regards

Lars-Olof Eriksson
Elan S4 FHC -68