Chapman Race Car Philosophy

To: Steve.Brightman@dalsemi.com, "A. Sta. Maria" <atocha@globe.com.ph>
Subject: Chapman Race Car Philosophy
From: rebean@CCGATE.HAC.COM
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 97 07:25:27 PST8

"A. Sta. Maria" <atocha@globe.com.ph> wrote on
Date:    10/3/97 5:49 AM:

>Steve,

>Regarding your note on mid-engine placement, as "God and ACBC" intended. =
  >I recall that it a long time for Chapman finally to swing over to the =
>mid-engined camp.  For a long while, he stuck to front engines, even for =
>his racing cars.

>Wasn't Cooper the leader in the mid-engined desgn?

>My history might be all wrong, and you fellow might know better.

Andres,

You're right that Cooper's success against the Lotus 16s caused Chapman to go
mid-engine for the new 18 but the issue wasn't merely engine placement.

There was a very good article in Automobile Quarterly (the first of many Lotus
articles in that publication) many years ago that quoted Chapman as having been
puzzled that the Coopers, which seemed to be on the edge of control all the
time, apparently twitching all over the place, were able to beat his super
stable 16s.

He ultimately realized that it wasn't merely cornering power in a vacuum that
wins races; it's a balanced package that allows a driver fast corner entry and
exit without the need to spend much time actually cornering.  For that, one
needs less stability and consequentially, quicker response.

Just working from memory (I have the article somewhere but it's been a long
time.... I used to reread that portion of it now and then to make sure I wasn't
misinterpreting Chapman's thoughts as I developed my own philosophy of what a
good sports car or race car ought to be).

That one point is, perhaps, what  has drawn me to Lotuses more than anything
else.

And THAT is what is so exciting to me about the Elise!  It demonstrates that
someone at post-Chapman Lotus still understands, even as almost a whole
generation may not.

Rod