Re: By Jove, I think he's..

To: "Bob Wells" <wells.b@portseattle.org>, chapman-era@Autox.Team.Net,
Subject: Re: By Jove, I think he's..
From: "Erik Berg" <Erik_Berg@qmail2.sp.trw.com>
Date: 18 Apr 1997 01:25:46 -0700
 Reply to:     RE>By Jove,  I think he's....

Howdy, All.
Bob Wells wrote:
> He's got it!  By Jove, I think he's got it!..... (with apologies to Lerner
> and Lowe)
> Your test message came through just like a perfectly ordinary, non-empty
> message.  I think you've found the cure.

Ahhhhh yes.... what a relief.  Some time in late February, the server through
which our user_name@trw.com mail (here at TRW space park) goes in and
out, underwent some sort of MIME encoding configuration change.  As part of
this change, they started using a different character set.

Somehow, this character set change was causing three different mailing lists
I'm subscribed to, to blow big nasty chunks.

The solution I have adopted is to route all my outgoing mail through a
different server, which uses UU encoding, not MIME encoding.  It is not an
ideal solution.  I kinda liked the simplicity of the @trw.com address, but what
I'm doing now seems to be working OK, so I guess I'll stick with it.

Note that, despite sharing the user_name@trw.com address format, Tim
Mullen has not been afflicted with the attachment-sending disease.  (Although
he has been *receiving* my messages as attachments)  Tim is in Chantilly, VA,
so his messages go through a different server than mine.  And presumably,
his IT folks are not utilizing recreational pharmaceuticals, as those here in
space park obviously are  ;-)

Bob also wrote (regarding message: Re: Toyota Gearbox fo Elan):
> This one also came through OK (i.e. not an attachment), although Mark
> Bradakis had to forward it to the list as the different address made the
> autox.team.net system think you weren't a subscriber.  The
> qmail2.sp.trw.com address, "once more, with feeling" message came
> through cleanly without the need for MB's intervention.

Yeah, your diagnosis is correct, Bob.  I had not yet realized before then, that
Majordomo@autox.team.net would not let me post to the list using an address
that I was not subscribed from.  It certainly makes sense, though.

In between those two messages, I changed my chapman-era subscription,
from Erik.Berg@trw.com to Erik_Berg@qmail2.sp.trw.com.

Thanks for the help, Bob.

The reason it took me so long to get this all fixed?  Well, for a while I was
still
holding out hope that I could convince our TRW IT folks, that they should
change the routing of my @trw.com mail, so that it would go through a server
that would not do the MIME encoding.  Then, I could have avoided changing
the email address that I use to subscribe to mailing lists.  This plea fell on
deaf
(probably, pharmaceutically impaired ;-) ears.....  rats.

Tim Mullen wrote (regarding lotus-cars message: RE>F5000 (actually FA) 41)
> This one came through as an attachment...

Yeah, sorry about that.  I haven't changed my subscription to lotus-cars yet.
wanted to thank Gunther promptly, for providing that interesting FA Lotus 41
info, so I posted that particular message despite knowing that some people
would receive it in the diseased state.  I should have this straightened out,
weekend-ish.

Thanks to Tim Mullen, Rod Bean, Phillip Babcock, Ken Claiborne, David Drew,
and Chris Kantarjiev for acknowledging my various messages; Mark Bradakis
and all the residents of chapman-era for tolerating this test message stuff;
and especially to Paul Pyyvaara, who is an administrator for Toyota-Mods,
and was the first to point out that the MIME character set could be part of the
problem.

Regards,

formerly:  erik.berg@trw.com

now:  Erik_Berg@qmail2.sp.trw.com