RE: [Wedge] UK 3piece Range Rover intake questions & info

To: "'TR7/8 newslist World Wide Wedge'" <tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu>,
Subject: RE: [Wedge] UK 3piece Range Rover intake questions & info
From: "Susan and Jack Brooks" <tr3a@att.net>
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2006 06:40:30 -0800
Dan,

> Over-Run valve, it doesn't have one?

My SD1 manifold does not have one.  I don't' believe this is an issue with a
well tuned EFI system, at least not from what I've read on the MSEFI forums.
I'm still plugging away slowly on my install, but ski season is almost over,
so I should start working on the car again soon.

> The Range Rover 3piece plenum has a 2 screw TPS.  COOL!!!
> Solves that
> problem of the 3 screw TPS becoming unobtanium!!!

Yup, I picked up a used one for $20.

> There is a thing attached just in front of the back right
> injector with
> a vacuum hose and two wires to it.  Is it an air solonoid to let air
> in?  Is it a manifold pressure sensor?  Just wondering as I plan to
> remove it...

That is a bi-metallic fast idle controller that you will find useful in your
MS setup.  Simply wire it up to your fuel pump relay (hook up the O2 sensor
heater here too) and it will allow more air in (faster idle) when the engine
is cold.  If you don't want it, I will buy it from you for my TR3 injection
system <sort of sarcasm>.  It's a very good thing and a desirable piece.
Keep it on there.  They can be found on many older Euro vehicles that had
Bosch injection systems, like Saabs and Volvos.  Again, it's a very good
thing.  Use it.

> There is only one vacuum port at the throttle body which is for the
> distributor.  Looking at my US SD1 plenum which has an extra port for
> the EGR, it appears that they are both drilled at the same
> position with
> respect to the throttle disc.  Does anybody know of a reason
> not to put
> a T on the one port and run both the distributor and the EGR from it?

My Euro SD1 manifold does not have an EGR port and I have not thought this
out.

> An interesting thing, the water cover on the bottom of the
> throttle area
> is the type that has an opening for an EGR connection even though the
> plenum is a UK system.  But it does not appear it was ever
> used nor do I
> see an opening behind the throttle valve where it would connect
> through.  So I am assuming I need to drill this through
> because I have
> to keep all emissions running because I am in California.

This is odd.  Are you sure this is not for the valve cover fume recovery?  I
will take a hose from the valve cover directly to the side of the throttle
body, near the throttle plate for this purpose.  My coolant heat exchanger
on the bottom of the throttle plate area has a through bolt in the middle,
with no potential areas for an EGR pipe.

> All this trouble trying to chase power (the US plenum has a smaller
> throttle disk and does not flow as well)

My understanding is that it is more than just a few ponies and will likely
be quite noticeable.

Perhaps we should chat again sometime, while we are both looking at our
respective manifolds.  I was contemplating installing the manifold this
weekend, but won't bolt it in and will finish the roll bar, suspension work
and miscellaneous minor rust repair first, so it will be easier to examine,
if we want to compare the two manifolds over the phone.  Let me know.

Jack

///
///