Re: 215 bellhousings

To: dkern@napanet.net (David Kernberger),
Subject: Re: 215 bellhousings
From: PJHall@aol.com
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 23:59:01 -0400
Jim, Dave, et al,
How strange that the Transdapt would be a shorter. My 3 speed and 4 speed GM
housings are both 6 inches, which is about 1/2 inch too SHORT for use with the
T5. The saginaw box should bolt up to the stock GM one with no problem as I
recall. As long as it is a GM application gearbox.
The Rover has a bit longer crank (to accomodate the revised rear seal), so it
requires a bit deeper belhousing, I forget the exact depth.
Could the transdapt one be designed for a t56 application (with adaptor plate)?
What does it measure?
Thanks,
Pat Hall

>Jim,
>
>    This difference sounds strange to me also.  Anybody know why this
>is??  The Saginaw Trans. should work with the factory housing I have always
>been told.  At least, if it is used with a BOP block and crank.  The Rover
>crank tail is a bit longer, I think, and I wonder if this could be the
>reason for the difference.  Is the Transdapt unit sold for the BOP or the
>Rover block?
>

>Cheers,
>Dave Kernberger
>
>>I've got a factory 4-speed (dual pattern) bellhousing, and an aftermarket
>>(transdapt) bellhousing with the GM transmission pattern.  I notice that the
>>factory bellhousing is slightly longer (maybe 3/4", or 1") than the
>>aftermarket bellhousing.  I was wondering why that is?  And how can I know
>>which one will work with a Saginaw 4-speed?
>>Regards,
>>Jim B.

///
///