Re: Has the list gone to sleep?

To: <gkneisley@mediaone.net>
Subject: Re: Has the list gone to sleep?
From: "Pete Bronlund" <peteb@clear.net.nz>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2002 12:53:11 +1300
----- Original Message -----
From: <gkneisley@mediaone.net>
To: <buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net>
Sent: Saturday, January 05, 2002 1:48 PM

> OK, let me pose a question.
>
> I have a small coolant leak, apparently coming somewhere from the
front of
> the engine, probably the seal behind the water pump.  It drips down
the
> front of the block.  What, in the learned experience of the group, are
> precautions to removing the water pump and installing a new seal.
Sounds
> simple enough, but having never done it would appreciate any tips
before
> getting in too deep for my low level of ability.   Does anyone have
the
> source number for the seal?
>
> This is a 1990-91 vintage 3.9Liter EFI engine, in a Morgan +8 and it
is very
> tight resulting in poor visual access so my guess is this is where the
> coolant is coming from.  All hoses look good.
>
> Thanks
>
> Gary

Hi Gary. What experience I've had with waterpump issues has been with
3.5s but the block is not that different. Since you're dealing with a
Morgan the issue of space is an issue.

I've found that the pump is constructed from diecast alloy and is
sacrificial as far as electrolysis goes i.e. it erodes away (instead of
the block) especially so if the specified (for alloy engines) coolant
additive isn't changed regularly.

How much of a leak does your engine have? If it's very light you could
opt for the cowboy method of dumping in a some sort of sealer goop to
the coolant but since we're talking about a Morgan this may not be the
best approach.

If the leak IS coming from behind the waterpump pulley & running down
the front of the engine, the shaft bearing/seal is on its way out, i
strongly recommend replacing the whole pump. I've used pumps by
Quinten-Hazel rather than genuine Rover units which are VERY expensive.
The other option is to have your pump rebuilt. That seal/bearing/shaft
is pressed in, then the impeller is pressed on = special equipment.

A new pump will usually come with a new gasket. After cleaning off all
the old gasket I use a bit of gasket cement on the pump face to hold the
gasket and a smear of grease on the block face so that the next person
can actually undo the combination a decade later.

Being a Morgan there probably isn't much room to work so it would pay to
take out the radiator so you have plenty of access to the engine front.
I've found sometimes that the longbolts clamping the pump to the block
have corroded solid so having plenty of space to
'spin' a wrench is important & eventually they yeild.

It's not a huge job but having a manual with instructions if there is
one for the V8 Morgan or look at Haynes Rover SD1 etc... helps plus
procedure for draining and refilling coolant is important such that
airlocks don't drive you crazy.

My .02 worth. Hope it helps.

Pete

///