Re: Starters

To: mg list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Starters
From: lmg@gomog.com
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2001 17:40:40 -0400
> I had the correct voltage from the battery, to the switch and back
> down to the selenoid (solenoid). But the selenoid wasn't kicking in.
> It was pulled today and it was litterly cooked. I
>
> Thats getting replaced, which brings me to my question (finally) -
> what starters are you all using (mines a 63 Buick, lightened
> flywheel, 215 stock starter except with the gm 'hot start' spring)?
> Which high torque will work and what's the approximate cost? and
> suppliers  you recommend ?
>
> Also - without changing cranks or pistons, are there any mods that would
> result in a noticable performance increase ?

> Leon .....

The US guru on your engine is Dan at D & D Fabrications in Almont, MI
(810) 798 2491. He sells a high torque geared starter for 250 US that
will get you to work on the starter alone. It will fit without a problem
but right side up. For the bigger cross-bolted crowd, the fit is a
hassle and will require counter-sinking one of the cross bolts (which I
chose not to do).

Another alternative, if your starter is still good, is to simply mount a
remote solenoid.

Lorne

///
///