vacuum or mechanical?

To: buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: vacuum or mechanical?
From: dave.williams@chaos.lrk.ar.us (Dave Williams)
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 06:53:00 -0500
-> I am considering the installation of a Mallory dual-point
-> distributor. I have the choice between the full mechanical advance
-> version or the version that also includes vacuum advance.

 The purpose of vacuum advance is to improve mileage at cruise.  Hot
rods with enormous lumpy camshafts have little vacuum to start with, so
lots of hot rod distributors dispense with the useless vacuum canister.
Somehow a mechanical-only distributor has become associated with
"high performance".

 Buy the vacuum advance distributor.  You can always leave the hose off
if you don't want the advancer.

///
///