Re: Rocker Arm Bushing metal

To: "David Kernberger" <dkern@napanet.net>
Subject: Re: Rocker Arm Bushing metal
From: "George Raicevich" <george.raicevich@nal.gov.au>
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 11:24:39 +1000
>       One of my ideas (actually from Hardcastle's book) is to adapt Volvo
> rocker arms to the Buick/Rover engine.  This would necessitate me making my
> own rocker arm bushings to fit the smaller Buick/Rover shaft.  I have
> plenty of Volvo rocker arms.  Is anybody out there knowledgable enough
> about metallurgy to suggest what particular bronze alloy would be good to
> use?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dave Kernberger

David
I just went through this exercise  with a 3 litre P5 Rover ( straight 6 ).
Check either your workshop manual or your parts catalogue for the the car.
Usually Phosphor Bronze (PB)   bushing is used.   In Australia you can buy the
material  in ready made lengths  from CBC Bearings.   If you dont have CBC
Bearing Centres , try similar Bearing  shops  such as FSK Bearings etc.

The PB Bushes  come in slightly oversize diameters  ( 0.5mm  )   The lengths
may be  up to 10 mm oversize.  Cut them down to size in a lathe  or get an
engine reconditioning factory to fit them for you.  I found the running
tolerances  for the bush and rocker shaft in my workshop manual.

Oil holes:   My bushes had two hole holes per bush.  One hole  is used to keep
the  shaft oil feed hole clear.   In the rocker down position the shaft and
bush holes  arent aligned and oil is forced over the bush / shaft journal  for
lubrication.    In the rocker up position  the shaft and bush holes  line up
and hole is ejected out the bush.  This is used to make certain the shaft oil
feed hole is kept clear of debris build up  ( Clever hey ?).    The shaft hole
is about two to three times bigger than the bush oil exit hole.  .  There  is a
second oil feed hole in my (inlet ) rocker bush .This feeds to the rocker
tappet adjustment  thread -  It looks like the hole is not  supposed to leak
out but  just keep the adjuster thread wet. Perhaps someone has a better idea
whats happening here.

The Rocker shaft , If you have  wear marks in the shaft,  now is a good time to
get it hard chromed. > You will have get the shaft ground down,  hard chrome it
and have it ground down to tolerance. You wont be able to get it machined down,
 only ground down.   I had the shaft tested before  grinding  and it came out
at  25C Rockwell  hardness  however hard that is.   I was able to get around
300 microns of hard chrome on the inlet shafts  ( I had 3 done at the same time
)

About the only thing to note was that the oil feed holes need a little "flat"
put in them so as to spread the oil  to the bush surface.

Keep  us informed on your progress.  - Very interesting.

George Raicevich
Sydney
Rover P5    ( x3 )