Cleaning the valley area of a V8

Subject: Cleaning the valley area of a V8
From: "Glen Wilson" <rstca@hemmings.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 18:42:52 -0500
I have my SD1 V8 disassembled as far as I plan on taking it.  It's
essentially a short block now.  There is virtually no sludge in the valley
area, but there is a thin dark brown coating of old oil in the valley area.
The cam, the lifters, the front cover and the sump will all be coming off.

Does anyone have a good suggestion about how to clean this area without
getting gunk someplace where it doesn't belong?  I have a couple of ideas,
but experience is a great teacher.  Got any to share?

Glen