Re: Crankshaft Pulley Removal

To: Glen Wilson <rstca@hemmings.com>,
Subject: Re: Crankshaft Pulley Removal
From: Dan Carrington <dc_grafx@microworks.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 13:01:09 -0800
Can you temporarily attach a flex plate or flywheel that you can then pin or
restrain with something through a hole to the back of the engine, or with a
flywheel turning tool (a couple of bucks from Harbor Freight)?

Can you remove the sump and block the crank with a 2x4?

Can you remove a spark plug and fill a cylinder with rope to block the engine
from turning? (also used to remove stuck cylinder heads if the bolts are
removed)

Otherwise look into strap wrenches...

The pulley on mine was easy to pull off by hand afterwards, but a simple pulley
remover setup can be bought from most any car parts store.  They are cheap
because they are a small plate or cast unit with some threaded holes and lots of
various bolts to attach to different pulleys.

Dan Carrington
1977 White TR7, flying on stands, sans drivetrain, awaiting V8
1994 Honda CBR900RR sportbike