Re: Muddying the waters?????, plus head gasket question

To: "KILE, PAUL D" <Paul.Kile@Aerojet.com>,
Subject: Re: Muddying the waters?????, plus head gasket question
From: "Brian Bonner" <enigma90@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 13:12:53 -0400

> Brian,
> Where do you live?  I think the key to this is what sort of climate your
car
> is exposed to.  Here in Sacramento, the temperature in the winter rarely
> dips below freezing, and then only at night.  Having grown up in NY, I
hate
> the snow and never go up into the mountains in the wintertime.  Under
these
> conditions, I run 20/50 year round in my MGs.

I travel around the country allot. I just spent 2 years(got back Oct.) of
traveling the country. I usually spend 3 months in a state before moving on.
I spent 6 months in Alaska. I live in Florida now, and the truck started its
life in Long Island NY. So I and my truck have been in every climate this
country.

Temperature should decide your oil weight. When it changes enough, it is
time to change the oil weight. You can probably get away with 20w50 in your
climate, but I would switch to 10w40 in winter around freezing. I do here in
north florida and it rarely gets below freezing. In winter it is the w
weight that applies to cold starts, and I want that oil to get around as
soon as possible, so I go with the lower winter weight. When I crossed
Canada into Alaska I ran Amsoil for both its endurance and cold flow rate.
But I don't use synthetics in my truck except under unusual cercumstances
like this one. traveling 5,000 miles in that span of time, and wheeling
without a oil change is not a good idea, so I used the Amsoil. IMHO
synthetics are a waste of money for the most part. And soem people use it to
extend fluid changes and are fooled into believing this is safe, which many
times it is not. nothing beats regular engine/gear/ tranny oil changes.

What was the head gasket question?