V8 oil viscosity

To: Rover V8 list <buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net>,
Subject: V8 oil viscosity
From: "Opstal, Lex van" <agopstal@huygmetaal.nl>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 09:52:45 +0200
The choice of what viscosity to use on these engines
has all to do with the condition of the engine and
the mileadge.
Very much members of the Rovernet drive older type P6 10,5 compression
engines which have done possibly more than 100 K miles.
In that case the best solution is 20W-50.
In my own P6 with 20W-50 the pressure when cold is too high
to my liking coming to 55-60 psi on the move.
So I switched to 10W-40 and now the pressure is OK but even more
than the factory manual says it has to be.
Then there is the question of blocked pick-up filters in the sump
which is detrimental to oil pressure at idle.
And the last question is the accuracy of (old) gauges.

All in all the experts agree on not using synthetic
oils and not go thinner than 5W-40.

Lex van Opstal.