Question: Rover waterpump modification

To: "Buick-Rover-V8 Mail List" <buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Question: Rover waterpump modification
From: "Pete Bronlund" <peteb@clear.net.nz>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 09:45:29 +1200
Has anyone tried shortening down the pressed-on diecast boss on the
early Rover waterpump? It's way too long (space between it & radiator).
I have a new Rover P6B (Qinten Hassel unit) pump that measures 114mm
(4.45") gasket-surface to fan-mount-surface. The V-belt 'ring' bolts to
the boss at 57mm from gasket-surface.

At this stage it appears i can machine up a new boss from a 6061-T6
billet but connecting it to the 5/8" (16mm) dia waterpump shaft is a
problem since my calcs show a length of 16mm in the new boss if pressed
onto the 5/8" (16mm) shaft. (The diecast is around 32mm). Will this be
ok as a press fit onto the shaft or is there some kind of better way to
join it so it remains reliable?

Any ideas appreciated & sorry if this sounds confusing!

Pete Bronlund