Re: SD1 distributor

To: buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: SD1 distributor
From: Lee Shepherd <leesonic@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 07:10:13 -0700 (PDT)
--- Simon Sparrow <Simon.Sparrow@wang.co.nz> wrote: >

> Having said all that, my question concerns a Lucas
> SD1 distributor that I
> have - 35DE8. This has two wires coming from it, one
> red/black and one
> white/black. Does anyone know how these should be
> connected up? Did this
> distributor require an external module (which I
> don't have)? The internals
> of the distributor contain a hall type sensor,
> transistor etc., so it looks
> fairly self-contained to me.

Hmmmm...sounds like your distributor has the remains
of the orignal Lucas "Opus" system. I think the one
you are describing is the earlier one, that needs only
an external ballast resistor. The later ones have next
to nothing inside the distributor, and an external box
on the inner wing (when used in an SD1).

=====
Lee Shepherd
1981 Mk3 (3.6 V8)
1970 Mk1 (2.1 OHC)