It Lives, continuation

To: <roverworld@onelist.com>, buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: It Lives, continuation
From: "Stuart Goggin" <SGOGGIN@au.oracle.com>
Date: 26 Oct 99 11:05:48 +1000
Hello All,

Managed to diagnose the rough running 72 RR 3.5 v8 engine, I took the rocker
covers off and ran the motor.   It appears the a couple of the valves are
not opening,  this is accompanied by much heavy tapping.  I am not sure if
the valve is inlet or exhaust, but the rocker hardly moves. There is very
little oil coming out of the valve area.    I initially suspected lifter
leak down, but whilst rotating the engine and feeling the pushrod there was
no slackness at all.   To me this points to a very badly worn cam shaft.

So my questions are:
Can lifter leakdown cause a valve not to open?
Should I see any oil coming out of the rocker shaft.
I checked the bottom end and it appears to have been rebuilt,  is there
anything that can cause a cam to wear out quickly.

At this stage I am tossing up whether to look around for a 2nd hand motor
cheap or put a new cam in this one.   I am a bit concerned about this engine
as it seems to have very low compresssion,  ie about 70psi in a couple of
the cylinders,  possibly  due to the non opening valves, but could be broken
rings.  I guess it is also possible that the rings have simply "STuck" after
such a about 4 years of storage with very dirty oil....

Regards
Stuart