V8 compression

Subject: V8 compression
From: Simon Sparrow <Simon.Sparrow@wang.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 07:30:28 +1300
I have a Leyland P76 V8 in my car (bigger version of the Rover). The other
week I had a leakdown test done. Most of the cylinders were OK (6-14%
leakage) but two cylinders, numbers 3&4 showed 20&28% leakage respectively.
The compression on the cylinders ranged from a high of 170psi to 155psi on
cylinders 3&4.

I did a compression test at home with the engine 3/4 warm and found that by
squirting some heavy oil down the cylinders bores, I could get the
compression on the cylinders (including the 'bad' ones) to rise by about
10psi.

Can I draw any useful conclusions from this?

I'm wondering whether its worth giving the heads a valve job and possibly
swapping in a fresh cam.

Any opinions welcome!

Thanks

Simon