Fuel Injection

To: buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Fuel Injection
From: Gregory72@aol.com
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 10:14:47 EDT
Stole this info from the Buick list.  Everything also applies to the 215\Rover
V8

Greg

----------------------
I've run the Holley Pro-Jecton 4Di system for about a year now. It's
installed on my '70 350. The 4Di system is the feed back system (oxygen
sensor) with a serial computer PC connection. The PC connection is really
neat, it's used to download the ignition, cold running, acceleration
compensation, and a host of other 'maps' to the EFI computer. It is also
can be used to monitor the EFI system while running. Once everything is
set up, the laptop isn't neded anymore.

Overall, I'm happy with it. The installation and set up was straight
forward. The hardest part was installing the fuel pump, filters (2), and
running all the wires. Because it's reprogrammable from a laptop and it's
a closed loop sytem, the set up was considerably easier than the earlier
Pro-Jections.

I feel this system would be good if you have a difficult engine to
carberate and want to keep it streetable. The flexability is amazing. It
drives like a modern FI car, start it up and go! No cold running hicups or
heat soak funny business.

I also managed to get the electronic ignition advance to work. I did this
by using a distributor housing off a late '80s 231 and electronics (7 pin
module) off a Chevy V-8. This is more a car geek rather than computer geek
toy.

One hidden cost of this, or any, square bore carberator set up is that you
need to get an aftermarket intake manifold. I didn't, used an adapter
plate, and had some really wierd transient vacuum problems.

I upgraded to the TA intake and things seem to be working better. I did
the upgrade along with ported heads + big valves last weekend. It's been
raining here since then so the tests have been limited so far.
Acceleration test 1: severe wheel spin. Acceleration test 2: severe
wheel spin. Well, you get the picture. Hopefully the weather will clear
up tomorrow.

-Tom