More engine questions

Subject: More engine questions
From: Simon Sparrow <Simon.Sparrow@wang.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 1999 18:04:20 +1200
Hi,

I spent some time today having a look at the valvetrain on my engine (P76
V8) and I'd like to get some opinions on a couple of things.

I did a quick'n'dirty comparative measurement of the relative amounts of
lift on each valve, by measuring the maximum lift from the pushrod cup on
the rocker arm to the valve cover mating surface on the heads. The idea of
this was to see if I had any lobes that were worn, rather than to accurately
determine lift.

I found that the variation between the valve with the greatest lift and the
one with the least was about 1.5 to 2mm. Does this indicate that my camshaft
is OK? I've heard that camshafts tend to wear unevenly, so I was looking for
one or two with much less list than the others.

The other thing I took a look at was timing chain wear. I discovered that I
could move the crank about 10 degrees (as indicated by the timing marks)
without the rotor arm on the distributor moving. So I would say that my
timing chain has stretched...

Is it worthwhile replacing the stretched timing gear with a good roller
chain without doing anything else to the engine? This would be relatively
cheap (and easy) to do.

The engine generally runs well, so I'd like to avoid taking it apart, but
don't mind replacing the timing gear.

Opinions/comments anyone?

> .-->

Simon Sparrow