Tic-Tach-Touche <G>

To: buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Tic-Tach-Touche <G>
From: Shadow@RTD.COM (The Shadow Knows...)
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 20:53:46 -0700 (MST)
Or... one week in the life of a Rocket Scientist

 Once, long, long time ago.  Being bored to tears with the
constant Acft. down time during a major flight test program
I was working on, I decided to build myself a tachometer for
my R-69S BMW motorcycle.  As the OEM unit was cable drive, I
was not impressed with it at all.  So, with wit, wisdom and
a whiz-pot full of donor goodies from dead missiles in hand,
I set about building an inductive pickup, 6-VDC powered tach.
Using a salvaged indicator head (milli-amp meter with an RPM
legend face) as the container.  Three days and half a roll
of solder later I had a working unit.  Tested it out on some
Zillion dollar lab test equipment/signal generators/etc....
Bolted it on my trusty BMW handle bars; put the hinged pickup
(made from 10-pieces of pencil lead and mile of micro-fine
wire) on one plug wire and Viola!  It worked like advertised.
Was really proud of my designing ability.  Whizzed over to a
bad-ass friend's house who rode an equally bad-ass Harley.
He was duly impressed also.  We headed out for our favorite
watering hole and all hell broke loose.  I could not ride any
closer than 10 feet from his Hawg without my tach running wild.
That tach would pickup his ign. pulses and add to mine and I
had a million RPM engine according to the needle.  And every
zit faced kid with a ripped up VW with the engine hanging out
in the breeze caused the tach to go ballistic also.  Damn good
design.  Should of sold it to the CIA for a long range vehicle
detector.  Think I over engineered it a tad.  Still got it in
a box of 'Collectable Momento's' somewhere.  Bummer... Oh well.
Back to the drawing board, someday.

 Mr. Shadow (Ret)