Re: alloy in 32 chevy (valve covers)

To: buick-rover-v8@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: alloy in 32 chevy (valve covers)
From: Ben/Pam Zwissler <zwissler@hsonline.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 98 23:23:25 -500
At 11:39 PM 9/27/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Offenhouser still makes polished aluminum finned valve covers, about
>$200.00 per set. One of the English manufacturers makes an adapter that
>bolts to the heads, accepts any Ford valve cover. Try RPI  Engineering.
>Another possibility would be Rover valve covers if you can do some
>polishing or painting.
>
>Jim Stuart

I have the Offenhauser covers.  I didn't know they were still available, and
I've only seen them on about half a dozen cars.  I believe they're plated
(chrome?) over the aluminum as the finish on mine is deteriorating in
several places.  They look very nice, but I've found that factory gaskets
won't fit (mine are pretty old so maybe they've fixed this if they're still
making them).  I just use the Blue RTV and it seals better than gaskets
anyway.  They'll also accept about any Chevy breather cap or accessory,
which makes it easy to adapt a breather and PCV system.  I have a Mr. Gasket
chrome breather on one side and a Summit cap/PCV valve combo on the other.

One other common problem with the Offy covers is that they prominently say
"Offenhauser" and people think they made the engine and that its not
original.  I saw at the TRF Summer Party  that Woody Cooper had a novel
solution to this.  He epoxied some TR6 rear fender  "TRIUMPH" badges over
the Offy name.  It looked pretty good.  Of course, having people believe
your engine was made by Offenhauser isn't necessarily a bad thing either.