Rover SD1/3500 power locks

To: buick-rover-v8@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Rover SD1/3500 power locks
From: Greg Gall <greg.gall@iname.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 05:14:40 -0600
For those of you with Rover SD1/3500's:

I have been puzzled by the power door locks lack of consistent operation.
One moment it will work perfectly, the next it won't work at all! I realize
that this is a common fault with the early Rover SD1's, especially as the
car gets older, however I would like them to be a touch more consistent.

What I have observed so far:

The operation seems to be highly dependent on the battery voltage! If the
battery is not quite 100%, the locks will rarely function, and eventually
cease altogether, unless you run the car for a while to charge the battery.
The locks work very consistently when the car is running (I guess when the
alternator is keeping a steady 12-14V to the car's electrical system).

Has anyone sorted out this problem? Where should I start to look for the
cause?
(ie. is this electrical or mechanical in nature?)

I am suspicious that there are a lot of small voltage drops in the power
locking system - due to dirty connectors and power chassis ground points -
the question is, where!? I'm sure it will take a while to track these down.

Has anyone tried to modify the locks for more reliable activation?

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Greg.
ps. forgive me if you get two copies of it (I sent it to both the Rover
list and the TR8 list)
---
'76 TR7-V8 (Buick 350)
'77 TR7 4 speed A/C
'79 (March) TR7 DHC Auto
'80 Rover 3500 FI, 5 spd, A/C
'73 FIAT 128 Coupe SL 1300 (for sale!!)
'91 Eagle Talon

Gregory Robert Gall, ENT, BSc.   e-mail: greg.gall@iname.com
IT/Hardware Consultant, Calgary, Alberta, CANADA.

"If you want to kiss the sky, Better learn how to kneel...
(on your knees boy!)"
By a famous Irish Poet and Philosopher, Bono of the band U2.
c.1991