Re: 3500cc v8

To: "Rover V8 List" <buick-rover-v8@Autox.Team.Net>,
Subject: Re: 3500cc v8
From: "Glen Wilson" <GlenWilson@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 1998 09:25:45 -0400
Roy,

I'm not sure about the reference to 1995 in your note.  This must be a typo.

You can consult any of the books on the Rover marque or Hardcastle's book on
the V8 itself, and you will find that there is no doubt whatsoever that the
engine was designed in the United States for use in the American market.
The engine was manufactured for at least three years ('61-'63) and used in
Buick, Oldsmobile and Pontiac models.  General Motors decided that the
savings in weight allowed by the aluminum block were not worth the extra
expense of manufacturing the aluminum block in a market where size and
weight were not major concerns.

Rover then bought the design and manufacturing rights from GM.  They made
some changes to suit their applications and also made some definite design
improvements right at the outset before beginning Rover production of the
engine.  They also changed to a different method of casting the aluminum
block.  Over the years, Rover has continued to refine the engine in many
ways and deserve all the credit in the world.  It was, however, the
excellence of the original design that made all this possible.

If there is one thing that American auto manufacturers are noted for, it is
for excellent V8 engines. Because these engines have been designed for use
in the kind of cars sold in the American market, they have generally been
too large and heavy to be used in cars designed for the European market
(with several notable exceptions, of course).  It was the 215 CID's small
size and light weight that made it different from the American norm and made
it so well suited to many European aplications.

BMW may have had some design input on the engine since they bought Rover
just a short time ago, but they certainly had no involvement up to that
point.

So, we Yanks can rightfully claim some pride of ownership on the Rover V8.
I take my hat off to Rover for recognising the potential of the engine over
30 years ago and for continuing to manufacture and develop it over all of
these years.

Glen