Re: [British-cars] [Spits] Recalls & Smart Laws

To: British Cars SOL <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [British-cars] [Spits] Recalls & Smart Laws
From: Glen Wilson <rovercar@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 09:36:04 -0400
Mark J. Bradakis wrote:
>> New Virginia law effective on Monday July 2, 2007,
>> failure to give hand signal or turn signal regular cost of court plus fine,
>> then DMV will charge a "FEE" from $1050.00 for 1st offense to $3,000 when you
>> pass two, ==YES== three thousand dollars==
>>

> Cool!!  People who are so dangerously stupid they can't signal turns
> and lane changes have no business being on public streets.
>
> mjb.

Mark,

You have never come across to me as a "stupid" person, but your comment
certainly is stupid, or perhaps just economically biased and
insensitive. For many people, that $1050 for a first offense represents
a mortgage payment, health insurance premium or tuition bill at the
local community college. That $1050 is certainly not chump change for
the majority of Americans, and it's an onerous fee for forgetting to
signal a turn, and that may be the only mistake the driver made. Wait
until you're laid off, behind in your mortgage, have three kids and no
benefits and see if $1050 for a first offense for not signaling a turn
still seems fair to you.

Glen