Re: How did we pick our Marque?

To: caws52803@aol.com, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: How did we pick our Marque?
From: Mike Rambour <mikey@b2systems.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 12:21:04 -0800
== british-cars at autox.team.net supported in part by Fat Chance Garage
==    http://fatchancegarage.com

>I have been curious how did you listers get so enthused about the
>LBC you own.  How did you get involved with that car?

   Quite by accident, I was in high school driving my FIAT and was
going to Concours to satisfy my photography hobby.  I really out of
the blue one day decided that I would like to restore a car and show
it in a concours, thought it would be fun.  I knew 2 people with
Morgans and was mildly familiar with them and since I had seen some
Mogs in concours I decided a Morgan was the best I could
afford.  Problem was I was in high school driving a FIAT so I had no
money, because the FIAT was a expensive toy.

  I finally found a Morgan on the East Coast that I could afford, but
it did not run and only had 3 wheels and NO it was not a 3-wheeler
Mog.  Because of the 3 wheels I could not find a shipper until it had
a 4th wheel so they could push it onto the shipping truck.  This is
back in 1974 so before the internet and I picked up the L.A. Times to
see if I could find a wheel, there was a advert for a 1953 Singer in
there, never heard of one.  I went to the public library and found a
book on British cars and found a picture of a Singer, WOW that
backend looks almost like a Morgan and I can afford this one, that is
how I ended up with my 53 Singer.

   Over the years I have acquired more Singer's and sold some as
well, currently I still have that 53 that I purchased in 74 and I
have 2 34 Singer's.  I really got into Singer's because I could not
afford a Morgan but I have no reason for liking the Morgan now that I
think about it, so how did I pick my marque ? I don't know.

   Oh yeah, still have the same 73 FIAT also, plus another 67 FIAT
now but that is a very different FIAT so it does not count.

  Mike
p.s. I have never shown my cars in a judged event, much prefer driving them !