Re: A heresy from the darkside

To: lrcar@red4est.com
Subject: Re: A heresy from the darkside
From: "john matthews" <john__matthews@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 08:10:33 -0700
Hey Larry,

I'd say you're just doing what makes sense. Drive what's competitive and
cheap on track and keep the British Iron for the "cool" factor. Vintage
racing is wicked expensive, and you're not allowed ANY contact or you'll be
suspended. For my money Mazda is now filling the role that Triumph did ~30
years ago, cheap fast sports cars with good factory support for racers. I'll
probably go with a Spec RX7 for my next race car. Racing is not the place to
be sentimental unless you have a large bank account to back it up. My
instructor told us that if you couldn't afford to leave the track with your
race car (vintage or not) rolled up in a little ball with not one part worth
anything you shouldn't be racing. I'd rather have a semi-disposable Mazda
that I could push past the limit (thus improving my skills) than the
prettiest vintage Cobra that's worth too much to risk. I'll keep my TR 4 as
a touring car, and maybe even do a few track days with it, but when it comes
to all out racing I want a class that has enough good drivers in it to make
a win really mean something.

Cheers,

John Matthews
'61 Herald
'63 TR4

P.S. You can always do like I did with my Civic, just put an MG badge on the
front of your Miata....

>I do not intend to sell my MGB. I'm very much looking forward to
>getting it running again. However, while I'm waiting on parts (I hope
>my camshaft will be done soon, then I need to find a light flywheel,
>and good prices on the coilover suspension kit), I started buiding a Miata
>to race in Spec Miata. Even if the MGB were competitive in any classes,
>$500 for a new fender is just too much for a racecar.

High-speed Internet access as low as $29.95/month (depending on the local
service providers in your area). Click here.   https://broadband.msn.com