Re: Does this ever look like a scam..

To: Thom <thomcount@netscape.net>
Subject: Re: Does this ever look like a scam..
From: Peter van der Linden <pvdl@afu.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 08:04:54 -0700
Yes, as you saw, this is a scam.  It's been widely used on Ebay in
recent months.

For the benefit of anyone (like me) who didn't see the earlier
discussion, the summary is:
1.  Person from overseas wants to overpay you for the goods, and get
goods+cash back.
2.  You will be "safe" because they won't pick the car up until later.

But, you will have already fronted the cash back by then.
The cashiers check they send you will be forged, like these ones:
    http://www.carbuyingtips.com/fraud.htm
    http://www.flybynite.com/bike/wwwboard/atv/messages/15212.html

If you had the time and interest, you could get them to send you the
"cashiers check" then give it over to the FBI, so they at least have
examples of the thief's work in their evidence room.  The thief is
overseas though, so no further action will be taken.

      Peter