Re: Lucas and "the reputation"

To: Peter van der Linden <pvdl@afu.com>, <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Lucas and "the reputation"
From: "J.E.A.Rich" <mmmbob@adelphia.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 19:53:59 -0600
Peter,

I would like to come to the defence of Joe Lucas. I'm a misplaced Limey who
came to the US 40 years ago at the invitation of an American Company. I grew
up in London before the war in an extremely strict Victorian household. The
main meal on Sundays was 'dinner' at about 2 pm. After dinner, the ladies
would retire to the living room with their knitting or embroidery while the
boys would go to the garage and 'tinker' with their cars.

We cleaned plugs and points and checked starter and dynamo commutators and
brushes; then we adjusted the brakes.

I currently own and drive four different British cars and have NEVER had a
problem with any British car electrics. I had never even heard of the
problems you say Mr. Lucas has caused until I came to America. Perhaps you
chaps should learn to tinker.

Cheers, "Bob".