Re: A Plea for the List was - An American

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: A Plea for the List was - An American
From: John McEwen <moparrr@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 18:54:47 -0700
After reading Larry's response to my hopefully inflammatory comments,
I rest my case!

If they were building more MGs or were going to build more then I say
"have at it" race 'em all.  But they aren't and "all raced-up and
tricked-out" MGs are just someone else's idea.  They have little
value to another - as the hot rod crowd is finding out when they go
to sell the "prize" on which they've blown tens of thousands of
dollars.  It's pointless saying that something is a "little modified"
and can be "put back".  It won't be - and another one is gone.
Making a 30 or 40 year old car go really fast isn't rocket science -
but the only thing authentic about it is probably the MG badge on the
boot lid and that is probably blushing with shame.  "Safety Fast" was
a commercial slogan for new cars.  One questions the point so many
years later.

Mind you, I have no problem with formal vintage racing provided the
race part doesn't destroy the vintage part and there's the rub!

John

Snip: