Re: BMW Mini. Is it British

To: <Britcarcom@aol.com>
Subject: Re: BMW Mini. Is it British
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 23:47:32 +0100
Let's scotch some of the opinions shown below. It's British, even
though it may use a 'foreign' engine. It may well have used German
financing for its development as did the latest Range Rover, of which
I believe Ford is inordinately proud!. I saw prototype Mini2's running
around the Gaydon test track as long ago as 1998 and this was when
Rover was still fully integrated with BMW. From 2000 onwards and again
before BMW and Rover broke up, many of these prototypes used the main
road near my home for their long distance, high speed road proving
under cover of darkness. The cars were heavily camouflaged but were
definitely minis.
Rumour within the now fragmented former company structure after BMW
cut and ran, indicates BMW weren't all that committed to the new car
as it didn't fit its own model profile. Don't think anyone would
disagree with that? So why did they take it on? Again, rumour
indicates that as BMW lost a wad of money with Rover, it thought it
would try to recoup some of its losses by not releasing Mini2 to
Phoenix who bought MG Rover for a tenner. Equally, BMW hijacked the
former Riley and Triumph brand names as well and still refuses to
relinquish them. Another similar motive here?
Yes, the Mini is British by design. Originally, it was to be built at
Longbridge and at the last minute was switched to Oxford. That plant
for decades was the Pressed Steel factory and was an integral part of
Morris. The Rover 75 was initially built in Oxford and when BMW/Rover
broke up, Mini2 and Rover 75 quickly switched assembly locations.
Mini2 reflects current UK automotive technology, global component
sourcing and is assembled by British workers on an old British factory
site in a very modern factory. Sadly, te factory is owned by BMW and
the car is sold only by BMW dealers - but if ever there was an
outstanding small BRITISH car, it's Mini2. Period!

John Macartney

BMW Mini: Is it British?
Wellllllllll ... it's sorta British. It's BUILT in Britain. IIRC, it
has
quite a lot of British-made parts in it. And its spirit is clearly all
Brit.
I'm willing to overlook that it was built by ... Those People ... and
consider it British. I'd be curious to know what real live Brits think
it is?
best, jv.

In a message dated Thu, 25 Apr 2002 00:20:48, Mark J Bradakis
<mjb@autox.team.net> writes:

>  While it isn't a British car, I figure some folks on this list may
be
>  interested in the new BMW Mini, and at the request of some folks on
>  mini-list@autox, set up a bmw-mini list.

Jonmac

1950 Ferguson TED20 152318
1970 Triumph 2.5PI MG4305DL(O)
1974 Triumph 2000 ML2294DLO

"Sweet man of summer, is this a dagger I see before me - or art thou
just pleased to greet me?"
(William Shakespeare - pre-censor)

IN THE SHADOW OF MY FATHER
http://www.toolbox.ndirect.co.uk/triumphbook