Re: Responses - Assembly Bill 834

To: Mike Rambour <mikey@b2systems.com>
Subject: Re: Responses - Assembly Bill 834
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 16:03:26 -0400
Mike Rambour wrote:
>    AGAIN, I AM NOT BEING NASTY just wondering why we care so much about a
> minor little thing.  To me the plate is something I ignore when admiring a
> car because well every car has a plate.

  I agree, the number plate thing is insane.

  However, CA is relatively sane on this one, take a trip
to the homeland of our cars and see what I mean.

  The crazy brits treat a car without it's original
plates the way an American treats a car with a salvage title,
a total second class citizen.

  Even worse, cars with good numbers  but low value are often scrapped
for the plate alone, to put it on some other car to
make it look more "correct".

  "Hey, that's a cute little Morris Minor. I'll buy it
and crush it so I can put the correct Sussex-area-issued
plates on my E-type."

  What's stranger to me is that even sensible Brits do
this. Practical Classics is a really great magazine and
normally they are full of down to earth tips for real
world enthusiasts, not show-off junk for the posers. However,
they too play the numbers game.

  One of their recent project cars was a wreck but
they couldn't help but restore it because they said
the number plates were "OEL xxxx" and it gave the
car the cool nickname "Oh 'ell".

  They really need to move to North America where if
but for lack of space they could have the license
plate - "Hi. My name is Trevor, this is my car, hope
you enjoy it as much as I do. I think the Sens are
going to go all the way this year, have a good day."

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca