Oh-oh, here we go again - Was Re: (no subject)

To: Scyter@aol.com
Subject: Oh-oh, here we go again - Was Re: (no subject)
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 12:42:29 -0600
I recall another recent message like this, presumably sent by a young
school child, asking for information on the number of small transformers
used in your home, with nearly identical instructions for fordwarding and
responding.  You just might pause a moment to consider that the original
premise of the message may be irrelevant.

This has all the appearances of another quasi-virus spam address collector,
originating from a correspondent previously unknown to anyone in the chain
of correspondence, having no subject line, asking you to forward a copy to
everyone you know, and asking everyone to also respond to the originator.
This chainletter type message, if only moderately successful, has the
potential to tie up large amounts of bandwidth on the internet, and
collectively consume an inordinate amount of (collective) time for
individual users.  This in itself is a type of virus effect, whether
intentional or not.  This also has the effect of generating a very long
list of verified active email addresses with geographical locations
included, which is just the perfect objective of constructing mailing lists
that can be sold to SPAM operators.

Just a thought for the day.  And I am not responding to the original
correspondent.  NO WAY!

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg