More on Car Insurance

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: More on Car Insurance
From: paul a zielinski <paulzielinski@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 22:54:49 -0500
Guys,

I switched to Condon & Skelley about 10 years ago. Just picked them out
of Hemmings. And my real insurance agency handles the details for me.

It costs me $120 in New York State. I valued my car at $8000. You can put
any value that you want on it, you pay per $1000 valuation.

DRIVING: They say 2500 miles per year for club/show purposes. But they
also ask you to specify TESTING miles.

So when I go to breakfast on the weekend with my Lotus car buddies (or
ANY car buddies), that is A CLUB EVENT. We even publish our breakfast
schedule on the Net and in The Lotus Ltd. REMARQUE (National Club).

If I was going to any car event (drive night, etc.) that is a CLUB
RELATED EVENT.

And I TEST my car early Sat. and Sun. morning to get baggles and the
paper. I usually test it REAL HARD, just to make sure that everything is
working OK.

I put  betweeen 1-2K miles/year on the clock. No kidding.(Odomometers do
break, but mine hasn't. I keep good care of my Lotus.)

HAGGARTY INSURANCE: I talked to the local agent at the Victor, New York
Car Show (run by The Western New York MG Club.) This is a HUGE SHOW.

The Haggarty guy did maintain that your 2500 miles ARE NOT LIMITED to
show/car stuff. They didn't care how you used your 2500 miles. If I was
starting off and looking for a company, I wouldn't question going with
Haggarty. I just don't want the hassle of a change.

I say just get a company (that has no obvious black marks) and drive your
car.

Antique/special interest car insurance is a good deal for these
companies. They know that we are extremely careful with our treasures.
Our claims are VERY LOW. (Sorry about the few of us who have lost cars to
stupid accidents beyond our control. I lost my first car, a MGA, in
1966).

These companies know that we don't enjoy driving on crazy busy highways
and cities with all the morons in BIG vehicles.

So drive your car. Quick and smooth. In the country. Or in the city in
the early AM. And don't worry about the accident that MIGHT happen. If
you are scared, then don't drive the car.

Cheers,

Paul        http://home.sprintmail.com/~paulzielinski
S2 Europa-Gordini
FAX 718-887-1398