TRR BFH#24

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net, british-cars@autox.team.net,
Subject: TRR BFH#24
From: Eganb@aol.com
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2000 16:47:55 EST
Well, I'm giving up for the night.  After some email from y'all I changed my
mind and tried to use the helicoil solution.  Did three holes, two are ok,
but on one the helicoil just keeps working it's way out every time I put in
the bolt  - and I made sure the helicoil was below the edge of the hole, down
a thread or two, when I inserted it.

Looks like all the threaded holes into the head for the exhaust manifold have
had helicoils used before.  So I suspect the holes are probably a tad wider
than they should be, hence the slipping helicoil?

I just put another one in the same hole with loctite, and will leave it
overnight, hoping it will grip better in the morning.

Meanwhile, any advice at this point?  Maybe wrap some plumbers tape around
the bolt to "thicken" it up a bit?  I've got to be able to get 34 foot lbs of
torque, not a lot, and I have to helicoil the other holes as well, and I
really don't want a repeat of today!!!

Thanks folks.

Bruce
1980 Inca Yellow TR7 5-speed convertible
Chapel Hill, NC