MGF Vs MIATA (longish)

To: "'british-cars@autox.team.net'" <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: MGF Vs MIATA (longish)
From: MCLELLAN Alexander <alexander.mclellan@eurocontrol.be>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 16:26:31 +0200
This is a selection from a column from last Sunday's Sunday Times. Its
author, Jeremy Clarkson, is, well, I don't quite know how to put this, a fan
of muscle cars, speed, fast boats etc. Listers who watch  UK TV  will be
able to tell you more about him.

web site is

http://www.the-times.co.uk/news/pages/Sunday-imes/frontpage.html?2206818
click on "contents"
page down to "Motoring" and click on "Jeremy Clarkson"

The column is copyright Times Newspapers ltd, which is why I haven't
reproduced all of it.

Regards
Alex. McLellan

It's as uncool as a Tory in  Islington - and I love it

[snip]

It's what I call the Abba syndrome. We all liked them. Even the
spikiest punk got all teary during Agnetha's rendition of Thank
You for the Music. But we never dared put them on the pub
jukebox or we'd have had our heads kicked in, by a bunch of
other people who liked them too.

I have a similar problem today with the MGF. When it was
launched, my colleagues in the press went on the rampage,
dismissing it as over-complicated and underwhelming to drive.
Not at all like an MG should be, they said.

Good thing, too. Old MGs were pretty wet, inside and out. And
even when they tried to inject a little pizzazz by fitting less puny
engines, things got worse. Driving the MGC with its heavy
Austin 3.0 litre motor was like trying to run while carrying a
boulder.

[snip]

So, as far as I'm concerned, the further removed a car is from
the MGB, the better it will be. And the mid-engined MGF is very
far removed indeed.

For years, I've been making quiet little tweety noises about it to
friends, but such has been the thunderous and puce-faced
response, I've learnt to keep my mouth shut.

But now, in the mood of post-BMW jingoism, people are
suddenly interested in what Rover is making, to such an extent
that the 25 was Britain's bestselling car in April. And the 75
came in fifth.

[snip]

 but it must be said. The
MGF is very good.

[snipped picture of MGF]
                                       ©
          Knowing me: the MGF is a sports car
               for the Abba generation

To understand why, we must first of all work out what it is we
want from a sports car. A hard ride? A throaty engine? Weather
on the inside? A heavy clutch? Deep bucket seats on the other
side of big, high sills?

I rather think not. When you come home from work, do you sit
in the superb wheelback chair you bought at an auction last
week, and which is a cherished antique, or do you collapse on
the sofa?

[snip]

No matter. Not buying a car because reverse is hard to engage
is like not marrying Kristin Scott Thomas because her eyebrows
are the wrong shape.

Sure, a Mazda MX5 will be more lively for those who want to live
in the red zone but, for the rest of us, facing a life in beige, the
MGF is much more suitable.

Prettier too. And there has never been a better time to buy.
Prices start at £18,270, but I've seen them on the internet for
£14,305.

Of course, you could buy a BMW Z3 instead. But it'll cost you
£5,000 more, and beware. People might think you're a Tory.