Re: Changing TR6 Pinion Seal

To: "internet:DLMAssoc@aol.co" <DLMAssoc@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Changing TR6 Pinion Seal
From: "MICHAEL H. WARNER" <74737.2761@compuserve.com>
Date: 31 Jan 95 21:25:07 EST
Doug,

I suppose it is possible to change the pinion seal on a TR6 without removing the
diff from the car, but I don't envy your friends.  They are in for some
uncomfortable work.  With the differential supported by the two rear mounts
only, your friends will want to have some sort of blocking under the
differential for safety reasons.  This won't leave a lot of room for things like
wrenches and human hands.

When I changed the pinion seal on my TR6, I removed the diff from the car and
worked on it on a bench.  This is the easiest way to do it, although it means
removing the exhaust system from the car to do it.

As far as a torque value on the pinion shaft nut, my Bentley manual lists 90-120
ft.lb.  In order to be able to apply this torque, I needed to use a long steel
bar in conjunction with a torque wrench.  The long steel bar (approx. 0.25 in. x
1.00 in. x 20 in. long) had two holes in one end to match 2 adjacent pinion
flange bolt holes.  This bar was then bolted to the pinion flange and provided a
"reaction handle" (best term I can think of right now) to stop the differential
from turning while you are applying a torque to the pinion shaft nut.

I wish you friends luck!

Mike  '73 TR6   (74737.2761@compuserve.com)

"If your Triumph doesn't leak, it's probably just empty"