Re: Europa reassembly update

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, Daren_Stone@ccm.sc.intel.com,
Subject: Re: Europa reassembly update
From: flarsen@uclink.berkeley.edu (Flemming Larsen)
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 1995 14:39:32 -0800
Daren,

Thanks for the update. Now _I_ have a couple of questions:

Re: Petersen Technical Services. How expensive are they? Do they work on
spaceframe chassis' a'la the Lotus Seven?

Re:

> all my worries were for naught. The first trip to the DMV I paid my
> transfer fees, signed the certificate of non-op, and since the car had
> long ago gone off the computer, I was asked to have a verification of
> VIN form filled out by a DMV verifier or police officer. I opted for
> the latter and called one out to the house the next weekend. After the
> usual comments regarding the likelihood of me installing a V8 in it, we
> settled down to business, verifying the numbers and plates were all as
> they should be. This form I then dropped back off at the DMV the next
> week, and was told all was in order and my new title, complete with VID
> that matches the ID plate in the front luggage compartment, will arrive
> in 4-6 weeks. Although it all went very smoothly, I must admit I
> breathed a sigh of relief on the way home.

I am in the same situation. DMV lost the records for my Seven a long time
ago. I registered it and paid the (then) 6.5% user tax on the amount which
I told them I paid for it. Now I have to fill out the same form which you
mention, and have the VIN verified. The problems are a) that the VIN plate
is not attached to the body, since there is currently no body to attach it
to and b) the chassis number (1644) doesn't match the number on the VIN
plate (US64SB1825). c) the pink slip shows the VIN as US6HSB1825. I would
like to have the number on the pink slip match the VIN, but again I have to
get someone to verify the numbers.

Also, I have to put down the value of the car on the DMV form. Do I put
down what I paid for the car, what I originally told them I paid for the
car, do I tell them what I paid for the car plus what I paid for all the
parts I had to buy plus the labor charges I paid for having the chassis
repaired and reinforced or do I tell them what I hope the car eventually
will be worth (more than it is worth now, but less than the sum of all the
parts)?

With apologies for being longwinded and for the lack of Lotus E**** and/or
Caterham content,

-- Flemming Larsen                        flarsen@uclink.berkeley.edu