Re: MGB Rear Brakes

To: sol <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGB Rear Brakes
From: Randy Wilson <randy@taylor.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 1995 21:44:33 -0500 (EST)

> >Does anyone know the best way to fit the clips that hold the rear
> >brake cylinders on the brake backplate on MGB (and I presume other
> >LBC's). I seem to just keep bending them.
> >
> >Thanks in advance
> >

> >---------------------------------------------------------
> >Paul Davis PRO-IV Marketing Manager

> Paul -
>
> Those clips are my least-favorite part of the MGB.  ' Can't say that I know
> of a slick solution - I just wrestle them on - driving them from the center
> of the clip with a moderately blunt instrument.  As they approach maximum
> expansion, they do bend pretty severely.
>
> I am posting this to the net as I really hope somebody out there has a more
> satisfying way to do this.     ' Still have the right rear on my '73 GT to
> do.  I'm "pretty sure" the left one is on tight.
>
> Good luck,
> Allen

> Allen H. Bachelder, Associate Professor of Trumpet
>                                          =iii=<

The easiest way is with the backing plate removed from the car and locked
in a vise (hey, makes it easier to change the axle seal), but it can be
done on the car fairly easily with help.

 Have an accomplice firmly hold the wheel cylinder in place on the backing
plate. From under the car, present the clip to the end of the cylinder boss.
Hook the two end tangs into the groove as they will be when fully installed.
This will put the center tang on the outside of the boss about even with the
edge of the fitting hole. Hold the two ends in place with two fingers of
one hand, and using the other hand, pry upward between the clip (right next
to the center tang) and the boss with a small screwdriver. As soon as the
center tang pops up and over the top of the boss, use a larger screwdriver
or punch to tap it home. It should walk right on and drop into the groove.
Finally, tap on the two ends to make sure they are fully in the groove. End.

   Randy