Lucas Distributor numbering ?

To: British-Cars@autox.team.net, Jensen-Cars@halcyon.com
Subject: Lucas Distributor numbering ?
From: luckett@ibm.net
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 95 19:53:01
Under the category of 'just when I was starting to understand.....':

Just what does the Lucas distributor type number mean?

As the owner of a not-that-common vehicle (Jensen-Healey), I am constantly on
the lookout for other applications of components I need. The distributor in the
73-74 JHs is a Lucas 25D as is stamped on the casting and noted in the Workshop
Manual. I was interested to see in the Feb 95 issue of Practical Classics
(p.29) a picture of a distributor purportedly from a Triumph 2000 which is also
clearly stamped as a 25D. The problem is however that it is not even close to
being the same thing. The vacuum unit enters from the other side (a mirror
image as it were) - so obviously the casting is not the same, and the points
etc. are not the same. Direction of rotation is the same.

Can the SOL's shed any light on this?

Stephen Luckett - Dundas,ON Canada       Luckett@ibm.net
73 Jensen-Healey #13621
74 Jensen-Healey #18595