Fun with Midget

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Fun with Midget
From: gerry@hostel.lincroftnj.ncr.com
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 95 10:14 EST
TO : Michael Chaffee

> safety problems) my 74 Midget (Harvey), told me it looked like my
> kingpins were worn and wasn't it nice that I'd have a winter project?

It is almost certainly the king-pins - unless you are in the habit of
lubricating
the king-pins every 3-4 weeks, then they tend to wear out very quickly.

I replace my king-pins about every 18 months (but I drive hard, usually
off-road,
and put about 15000 miles on the car every year).

If you have never done this before, it will turn out to be a major headache,
mainly because you have to separate the a-arm form the bottom of the king-pin,
by
removing the fulcrum pin. This pin tends to seize solid 3 minutes after you
have
installed it (!!!). Get a propane torch and planty of Liquid Wrench.

Once you have everything apart, you can send the a-arms out to be rebuilt,
order the new king-pins and have the stub axles reamed/rebushed.

While you have everything apart, you may as well replace the inner-arm bushings,
and the upper bushings.

>Also, whether it's the wheel bearings or the kingpins, I think a wheel
>bearing renewal might be a good idea.  Has anyone used the tapered
>bearings that Winners Circle sells?  Do they appear to hold up under
>duress?

Wheel-bearing replacement is simple and straight forward. I have been using the
taper roller bearing from Winner's Circle for years with no problems. BTW the
bearings are made by Timken - try a local bearing supplier

Gerry