Re: Keeping an MGB dry in the winter

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Keeping an MGB dry in the winter
From: KEN@HCACAD.HOLYCROSS.EDU
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 1995 08:06:51 -0400 (EDT)
Hi again,
        I have found a relatively cheap way to keep my car (1977 MGB) dry
over a New England winter in the outdoors.
        1) Buy a sheet of 4 mil plastic about 20'x30'.  Many hardware stores
           sell this. (Two 15'x20' sheets can be used.)
        2) Buy a 10 pound container of Calcium Chloride snow melt.
        3) Lay out the plastic where the car is to be parked and drive the
           car onto it.
        4) Put the car up on blocks.
        5) Place the Calcium Chloride de-icer on plastic trays under the car.
        6) Place a cloth cover over the car.
        7) Wrap the plastic about the car and staple and duct-tape the seams.
        8) Wrap rope or strong twine about the whole thing to keep the wind
           from blowing it open.

        The de-icer must be Calcium Chloride because that is a superb
dessicant.  The cloth car cover is to keep the plastic off the car's finish.
The Calcium Chloride is place under the car because if excess water does some-
how get in, it will become soupy and if it is in trays under the car, no damage
can be done.  I carried it a bit further and put another cover over the
plastic before I tied it.  The second cover was one of those cheap blue plastic
tarps.  There were times when the entire car was under 6 feet of snow but when
I uncovered it in the spring I found the insides to be absolutely dry.
        This solution is cheap and reliable.  The de-icer can be refreshed in
an oven and re-used the next year.

        Too late for this winter but hope this helps someone next year.

Ken Scott
Ken@hcacad.holycross.edu