Re: Oil them? Let them oil themselves!

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Oil them? Let them oil themselves!
From: Tim Dziechowski <timd@hitu.enet.dec.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 95 14:14:59 EST
>> door.  Here in VT there's a country rust preventive measure I recommend,
>> called "oil undercoating." It is simplicity itself; you spray the bottom
>> of the car with used engine oil.

>       I have also been told, though I have not tried it myself, that mixing
> in vacuum-cleaner dust with the oil makes it a more ideal consistency for
> undercoating.  YMMV.

The way the old-timers rustproof in New Hampshire is:

 - Spray underside, etc with used motor oil
 - Drive car/truck down a dirt road to get underneath liberally
   coated with dust.
 - Respray underside with oil

I've seen rust-free rigs which have been treated this way for years;
the goop is inches thick and salt doesn't have a prayer of finding its
way in.

timd@hitu.enet.dec.com  (Tim Dziechowski - '79 Midget)