MG trouble starting and idling

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: MG trouble starting and idling
From: david@oddjob.uchicago.edu (David Schleuning)
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 1995 09:54:38 +0800
I've been having a lot of trouble starting my '75 MGB cold,  and even once
it's warmed up it often dies at low idle.   When I bought the car it had
all it's emission controlls striped out and now has a Weber DGV carborator.
 The car and I live in Wisconsin, where the weather has been mild (for the
midwest) over the past week.  In early January, the temperature was very
cold,  but the car started up easily and performed normally at low idle.
Over the past month the performance has steadily degraded.  Now it is very
difficult to start and will die if I coast to a stop sign, UNLESS I as I
coast in I give the engine a good rev,  then sometimes it'll idle. Last
weekend I changed the plugs and checked the sparks from the distributer and
now all are sparking adequately.  I also took out the carborator and found
it to be very dirty and oily.  I have since completely cleaned it with
gasoline and reinstalled it.  At present the car continues to have trouble
cold starting and dies at low idle.  One more clue is that if I do get it
started and drive for say 1/2 mile, and then four hours later (lunch),  it
will start up much easier. If it sits over night it has much more trouble
starting.

Any Suggestions???

David