Re: Obscure Cars ... Depend on Location

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Obscure Cars ... Depend on Location
From: harrold@INDYVAX.IUPUI.EDU (Dick Harrold)
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 1995 07:49:43 -0500
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 1995 08:28:29 -0600
From: weverka@drip.colorado.edu (Robert T. Weverka)
Subject: Re: my most obscure car...

===== some text deleted =====

This was my only British car so far, but my wife and I went
to Stewart's Ferrari of Denver this weekend to look at their
used RR.  They had a nice Corniche, unfortunately it is out
of my price range.  There was an older Silver Cloud that was
within reach, but I didn't like the looks.  Seriously, these
cars on the used market can come down to below new Japanese
car prices (Accords and such) and I will buy one before I get
a new Accord.

Anyone out there use a Rolls as a daily driver?

----- clip here -----

Ted  -  Now you have my interest!  I don't use a RR as a daily driver and
never really considered it - but why not?  Or how about a Bentley?  The
only RR shopping I've done has been by word of mouth.  I found a wonderful
dust covered '39 Rolls (low miles, excellent condition, etc.) in Tennessee
while looking at several 4 cylinder Cadillacs.  The fellow had a rather
vast collection of old cars and the Rolls was in a corner behind some large
packing cases.  I asked the owner about it and he said he had picked it up
at auction when he learned a junk dealer was bidding on it!  He really
didn't want it and presented me with a price well within my range.

I'm from the old school and appreciate a big car.  Also, I have a leg
problem that makes it very difficult to get in and out of these little
things on the road today.  At least the Brits knew how to design a small
car so a tall person could get in and out and drive it comfortably!  Guess
that's how I got hooked.

I've been shopping for a Packard to replace my long distance travel car but
a Bentley or Rolls just might fill the bill.  I don't want a rust bucket,
so I must ask for a little help.  What year did RR begin to produce the
unit body?  Which years should I avoid in order to keep away from the rust
problem?

Dick

Dick Harrold
HARROLD@INDYVAX.IUPUI.EDU
Integrated Technologies
Indiana University at Indianapolis (IUPUI)