RE: British Cars Digest #1510 Wed Jan 4 14:21:03 MST 1995

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: British Cars Digest #1510 Wed Jan 4 14:21:03 MST 1995
From: "ALFIE::MRGATE::\"A1::FELTS1\""@atc.alcoa.com
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 1995 7:49:37 -0500 (EST)
From:   NAME: Tom L. Felts
        FUNC: SFTY (38)
        TEL: 412-337-2024                     <FELTS1@A1@ALFIE>
To:     NAME: VMSMail User SMTP%"british-car
<SMTP%"british-cars@autox.team.net"@MRGATE>

To: John Hunt---Re:--replacing bushings in SU Carbs.  I recently replaced
the bushings in 3 HD8's for the E.  Really a very simple process.  I found
you don't need to remove both pivot arms on the shaft, especially the one
with the pin in it.  Remove the opposite side (unscrew the nut) and slide
the arm off.  then pull the shaft through---after removing the butterfly,
of course.  CAUTION---there are two small rings on the shaft on either side
of the butterfly--they will need to come off--and don't lose them.

When putting the new bushings in, I gently rolled them (never bend them)
and inserted them first into the body cavity.  then using some WD40 on the
shaft gently rotated it through the bushing.  this worked well for me.

You will need to add both of the small rings before inserting the shaft
through the second hole of the body.  On mine, there also were outside
larger rings that tend to hold the bushings flush in the cavity---be
careful not to lose them.  When finished, gently press the smaller rings
against the cavity and insert the butterfly---if you have any part of the
bushing not seated properly, the butterfly won't insert.  Finally, press
the outer ring flush with the outside body.  It's amazing how snug
everything feels now.

For the sake of ease of readjustment, I would mark the arm location with
respect to the shaft before removing it.

One other thing----check the condition of the shaft------if badly worn, it
should be replaced.  Joe Curto--718-762-SUSU has parts--including the
bushings.  Apple Hydraulics also has then, I believe.

Good luck

Tom Felts