Re: Emissions Tests and Starters

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Emissions Tests and Starters
From: "Doug Mitchell" <doug@dsg128.nad.ford.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 1995 09:20:57 -0500
Fellow Scions,

I cannot speak for other states, but here in Michigan, emisions tests are
currently required only in the Detroit three county area, and are only
needed on vehicles less than ten years old. Generally, the test are only
for the levels that were in effect at the time of manufacture. ie: 1976
TR6 has to meet the 1976 emissions requirements. I do not believe that
there are any requirements to meet the current levels with an old car.

As far as what is tested, I remember that my old truck failed the first
time that I took it in.  Testing was for HC, CO and NOx if memory serves.
The shop-owner was a friend of mine, and the guy that performed the tests
suggested that I take the truck out, run it up in revs, (ie: redline for a
mile or so) and get everything hot. He then retested it, and everything
checked out ok.

I recently read an article that made some suggestions on how to reduce the
likely hood of you vehicle not passing. They suggested that when you get
to your testing station, don't wait if there are more than two or three cars,
and before you go, take it on a good high speed run to get all of the devices
working properly. Unfortunately, I don't remember where I read this, so I
can't even pass it on in it's entirety.

Starters: Yes, I am the SOL that works for FoMoCo, but I haven't the foggiest
as to why the Probe starter is so bloody expensive. It may well be that the
thing has to come from Japan. I know that my wife's '90 Probe was out for
5-6 weeks for a new tranny, it had to come from the J.A.Pan company. :O

Doug Mitchell - Ford Motor Company
Speak for Ford? - Most days I don't even speak to Ford.
'73 Spitfire 1500