TR6 ring gear

To: "'British Cars'" <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 ring gear
From: "Riggs, R. (Kevin)" <rkriggs@hsv28.pcmail.ingr.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 94 12:35:00 CST
A year or two ago there was a lot of discussion about installing new ring
gears.  I didn't save any of the wisdom, and now I need it.  I'd like to
install a new ring gear on my 72 TR6 this weekend.  I plan to cold-chisel
the old gear off, then slowly and evenly heat the new ring gear with a
propane torch until it fits on the fly wheel.  I won't use any type of
loctite.  Will this work?

A mechanic once talked about a shim kit for the starter to avoid the ring
gear going bad again.  Has anyone heard of this?  How would I measure where
shims are needed?

I plan to look at the gear on the starter and file off any spalls, but
reshaping the teeth by hand seems like a bad idea.  Is it common for these
gears to ruin the ring gear?  Is it likely that the local auto-electric shop
would have replacement gears?  This shop already rebuilt my starter once,
and they didn't blink when I said it was Lucas (it is, isn't it?).

My current ring gear isn't too bad (and yes, I remember reading that I can
turn it 90 degrees or something to get more useful life out of it), but it
does have a bad spot, and I occasionally have to push the car in gear a foot
or so to get past the bad spot.  This is the 4th time I've had the
transmission out of this car (this time the clutch froze up tight while
sitting for 6-8 months), and I'm just tired of it, so I'm rebuilding
everything--tranny, resurfaced flywheel, clutch (disk, pressure plate,
throwout bearing), fork pin, rear main seal, and ring gear.  Have I
forgotten anything?

Thanks in advance for any help.  Please respond directly if you have
advice--I'm behind on the digest and plan to get the job done this weekend.

Kevin Riggs
rkriggs@ingr.com
Huntsville, AL