properly jetting webers by using an air/fuel ratio monitor??

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: properly jetting webers by using an air/fuel ratio monitor??
From: "Felix Klauser" <felix@lfs.loral.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 94 05:03:33 EST
About 6 months ago I had the Webers in my Caterham 7 (1700cc Ford Kent
crossflow w/twin 40DCOE's) re-jetted on a rolling road (chassis dyno for
North American English speakers).  I was very happy with the result
except for under light constant throttle at about 2-3K rpm where the
engine seemed to be running too rich.  But so long as I kept my foot in
it all was fine!  :*)

The tuner used a Sun diagnostic system and looked to keep the CO ratio
around 5-6% under load and had me drive the car in between jet changes
to check the driveability and throttle response.  It was an iterative
process that we went through probably 3 or 4 times.

Now that the weather is cooler the car doesn't run as well and seems to
run rich most of the time.  My question is this:  does anyone have any
experience in using a portable air/fuel ratio monitor to tune a car
under real road conditions?  I would envision having a passenger along
to read the instrument and then stop periodically to swap jets as needed
and make a table of the correct jets for different ambient temperature
ranges.  Any comments?  Any recommendations on a air/fuel ratio monitor
to use?  Thanks in advance.

Felix Klauser
Loral ASIC
Portsmouth, UK