Re: Crankcase oil vs. gearcase oil, etc.

To: John Wroclawski <jtw@lcs.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: Crankcase oil vs. gearcase oil, etc.
From: Chris Kantarjiev <cak@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 1994 17:20:20 PDT
        With the TR2/3, the factory specified engine oil for the gearbox.

Hm, didn't know that.

I've had good conversations and bad conversations with RedLine
engineers (hm, what *are* the clutches made of?). When I was trying to
track down a lube that would quiet the whine in the clutch-style
limited slip in the Ferrari, I got what I felt was a pat answer rather
than a carefully considered one.

I know that Dick Nyquist put MTL into one of his overdrive trannies, on
RedLine's recommendation, and had it blow up shortly after. Didn't
really determine cause/effect, but he didn't try MTL again, either. Nor have I.