Picking nits and Land Rover useability and Gear oil

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Picking nits and Land Rover useability and Gear oil
From: vernk@carver.DataFlux.BC.CA (Vern Klukas)
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 1994 09:43:51 -0800
>From Chip Old:

>> Well, if you want to pick nits, "motor" is used correctly only as in
>> electric motor, while "engine" refers to internal combustion or steam
>> engines.  OTOH, it does sound silly to say "enginecycle" instead of
>> "motorcycle"...

So ya wanta pick nits, eh? Nit wise, a motor is any device providing
movement that does not have a self-contained source of energy. Doesn't have
to electric, doesn't have to go round, just needs an energy source to go. A
engine is self-contained, a so-called "prime mover." So, in the case of the
steam engine, take away the boiler and you've got (wait for it!) --a steam
motor. So every "engine" has a "motor", but a "motor" can never be an
"engine" without something additional.

And, as you say, "enginecycle" would be pretty silly.

Kendall Robinson asked about the useability of Land Rovers on the road.
Well, these guys are the people who parodied the Rolls "God this car's
quiet" ad with "at 50 mph, all you can hear is the engine." But they are
quite useable, much like a 1950 Chev pickup is useable. I wouldn't take it
on a trip, or go to the opera (okay, I wouldn't go to the opera anyway) but
I'd definatly drive it everywhere else. I think 10K is a bit steep, unless
it has been very well maintained/restored.

And finally, to all in the gear oil vs engine oil thing: gears as we know
them today do not slide, except for machining inaccuracy and the
compression of the face under loading. The involute tooth form creates an
(almost) point contact that travels across the tooth face in a rolling
motion. OTOH, the high pressure part is correct. Now, the pressure levels
are generally way higher in a diff than in a gearbox, so maybe it's a
theshold level kind of thing, i.e. higher speed, lower pressure = light oil
and slower speed, higher pressure = thick oil. Opps...I forgot about the
helical thing. That does cause sliding. But the loads aren't great in this
case, so I'm sticking to my story. BTY, some gas turbines use the end
thrust developed by a helical gear set to measure the torque the engine is
producing. Tres elegant.

Yers
Vern

Vern Klukas                                       I'm a little teapot
vernk@carver.dataflux.bc.ca or                    Short and...
ug141@freenet.victoria.bc.ca or
inkspot@carver.dataflux.bc.ca